Yes I did….I ran and completed a 1/2 marathon. I have so much to post – pictures, thoughts, pictures, funny stories, etc….but I have a weary marathoner who is nearly asleep and I’m about to tumble in bed next to him.
Short version of story – I met my goal: 2:50. Steve met his “under 4 hours” goal: 3:55. We are both proud, exhausted, and a bit achy. Don’t have pictures uploaded yet….but will do so tomorrow…..Meanwhile – here’s what I put in a Facebook note to my friends tonight:
Yesterday I finished my first 1/2 marathon at Walt Disney World. I say “first” cause I fully intend to run more half marathons in the future. However, I must recover first – as you can see….
1) I can say I ran a freakin’ half marathon and finished.
2) I can not promise that my legs will obey my brain’s messages to move forward.
3) I can wear my medal every day – if I want to.
4) I can not bend down and then easily get back up again.
5) I can tell you that I am really proud of myself.
6) I can not stop short when walking or do u-turns easily (directed at the little old “stop in front of people quickly” ladies at Publix this evening)
7) I can drive (we made it home).
8) I can not promise that me driving is actually a good idea.
9) I can wiggle all my toes.
10) I can not fully move my right foot.
11) I can stand on my right foot – if I am holding on to something stable.
12) I can not figure out what happened to my foot at around mile 10.
13) I can promised I will get my foot checked out….sometime this week.
14) I can not wait for my foot to be better cause I want to sign up for Gasparilla and Iron Girl.
15) I can tell you that my sister, Stacia, is the best motivator in the world.
16) I can not tell you that I was always paying attention to her need to get around slower runners in front of her (Sorry Sta!)
17) I can tell you that my brother-in-law, Rob, rocked his 1/2 marathon.
18) I can not wait till next year cause Rob promised to come back…..marathon perhaps?
19) I can tell you I’m so proud of my husband, Steve, who ran his first marathon today – and did it under 4 hours.
20) I can not stop laughing at the joke: “26.2 miles because 26.3 miles would just be crazy!”
21) I can and will encourage each of you to set goals for yourself this year – and GO FOR THEM!
22) I can not let Steve forget that he promised if I shave 13.1 minutes off my Disney 1/2 next year – he’ll let me buy a Coach bag….see goal setting!!!
23) I can tell you that it was worth it all – every last minute of it…..most truly.
And finally – I can not thank you all enough for the encouragement and posts on Facebook. Disney does not have wifi (what up with that?) and my cell phone is limited in capabilities and battery life. But I managed to see all the “likes” and comments and I was overwhelmed with the support my friends and family have for me. Thanks so much y’all.
And as one sign Steve saw today said: May the course be with you!